Bijou is owned by Maria who moved to Japan from France. In the Japanese version, she speaks normal Japanese and adds the words "dechuwa" (most likely a hamster version of "desu wa") at the end of her sentences, while the English version of Bijou has a French accent. Oshare also adds "dechuwa" at the end her sentences, perhaps because they both hail from France. Boss has a huge crush on Bijou, but she only considers him as a big brother. Bijou's best friends are Pashmina, Penelope, and Sandy. They know about Bijou's crush on Hamtaro and Bijou knows about Sandy's crush on Maxwell.
Bijou, like the other Ham-Hams, sees Sparkle as a good friend and is happy whenever she visits. Bijou knows about Sparkle's crush on Hamtaro and is, of course, a little jealous about it. The two become rivals in A Valentine Battle! but make up and become friends in the end.
Oshare is a friend of Bijou from France. Not much is known about their friendship or how they met. Oshare does, however, seem to treat Bijou similarly to most other hamsters.
Pashmina, Penelope and SandyBijou's best friends. It isn't obvious where the friendship sprouted from, but the four girls are always seen together and seem to have a very strong friendship.
Bijou and the other Ham-Hams took an immediate liking to Lapis. Bijou once thought Lapis had a crush on Hamtaro after she saw Lapis kiss him on the cheek, and spent a whole episode trying to keep them away from each other. Though this turned out not to be true as the kiss Lapis gave him was just her "thank you" kiss.
HamtaroBijou has a crush on Hamtaro. Although Hamtaro is completely clueless about it, he has shown signs of liking her back. In the first episode, she winks at Hamtaro after he sings and dances for her with Oxnard and Boss. Her crush on him becomes stronger in Come Out, Bijou! after Hamtaro compliments her ribbons. It becomes more obvious after Bijou's Favorite Ribbon, which is an episode centred around the relationship. There are a few more cases of a strong relationship in episodes such as I Want To See You, Bijou! and Satisfied Bijou, where it is taken a step further and they go on a proper date.
Boss has a crush on Bijou, however, she is unaware of this. She attributes the attention he pays her to simple generosity. She does care about Boss and values his friendship, but he is more like a brother to her. Boss sparks many attempts to win her over, even if some mean risking seasickness. The relationship may be poked at less and less as the series goes on.
- Come Out, Bijou! (#4)
- Bijou's in Danger! (#12)
- Bijou's Favorite Ribbon (#15)
- Let's Cross the Rainbow! (#33)
- Farewell Bijou! (#36)
- The Fresh Summer Breeze! (#58)
- The Animal Hospital (#71)
- A Wonderful Santa Claus! (#77)
- Maria's Birthday Party (#87)
- The Tale of Princess Bijou (#104)
- Bijou's Memorable Picture Book (#132)
- I Want To See You, Bijou! (#168)
- Bijou's Love Rival! (#197)
- Cupid Sparkle! (#208)
- The Changing Mirror (#216)
- Satisfied Bijou (#269)
- A Valentine Battle! (#289)
- The name "Bijou," is French for "small, exquisitely wrought trinket" as well as 'jewel' in French. It is used as the word "small" in English.
- In the French dub of the anime, Bijou comes from Russia instead of France.
- In Volume 1 of Tottoko Hamutaro: Hamuchanzu de Gozaimachu!, Bijou is Penelope's older sister.